This Disgusting Week, v. 5Posted: March 11, 2012
A quick review of the disgusting and disappointing things I have posted about this week. There are certainly many more awful things out there than I have time to cover, so keep in mind that you should continue to be dismayed and disheartened even if you can wrap your head and heart around these things.
Dwayne Alons–Dwayne Alons is a Republican State Rep. from Hull, a homophobe, and an idiot. You might say that he is our very own Bob Morris.
- Iowa Rep. Dwayne Alons, R-Hull: Withhold court funding until gay marriage justices off the bench. File this under stupid things that bitter old men say, sadly this is a bitter old man who serves in the Iowa House.
- Dwayne Alons, Iowa, R-Hull: homophobic and dangerously misinformed. Seems like Rep. Alons has been spewing this stupidity for quite a while. This is an interview with him from ThinkProgress.
Underfunded in Iowa–This week I looked at just of few of the many areas that are being shorted by the Republicans in the State Legislature. We are no longer in a situation where cuts can be justified due to budget shortfalls–these cuts are purely malicious at this point.
- Required reading for all Iowans: The DSM Register on state budget cuts. This opinion piece from the Des Moines Register really sums it all up. The money is there. But the Republicans have drank the Norquist Kool-Aid.
- As Iowa’s water quality needs increase, funding for water quality in Iowa decreases. My thanks for this one goes to the Iowa Policy Project for their detailed and illuminating research into this critical area. Thanks goes as well to my friend Andy Jenkins for linking to this piece from his fine website, Stream Fishing in Iowa.
- Shortchanging justice in Iowa. Iowa’s courts have seen a sharp decrease in funding over the past few years. House Republicans are pushing for a so-called status quo budget for the state judicial branch this year–which is a complete misnomer given the rising costs of, well, everything.
Dunkerton Youth Subjected to Junkyard Prophets–A little heads up to any public school administrators who are planning assemblies: avoid religious groups. Period. First Amendment. End of story.
- Dunkerton (Iowa) Junior High and High School students subjected to bad rap-metal, ridiculous Christian messages. What really gets me about this was that had the group been less confrontational, it is a very real possibility that no one would have complained.
My dad weighs in on the issue of efficiency–My father brought a clear and informed perspective to the discussion on fuel efficiency that I began last week.
- DailyDisgust pere on fuel efficiency. The president clearly heard what my pops said here, as he echoed many of the same points in his press conference this past Tuesday.